Serving Up Food For the Mind, Body & Soul...
ALMOND MILK: A Healthy Alternative to Dairy..
Makes 3 cups of Milk
1 cup raw almonds, preferably organic
2 cups water, plus more for soaking
2 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
1 pinch of sea salt
Place the almonds in a bowl and cover with about an inch of water. They
will plump as they absorb water. Let stand, uncovered, overnight or up
to 2 days. The longer the almonds soak, the creamier the almond milk.
2. Drain the almonds from their soaking water and rinse them thoroughly under cool running water.
Combine the almonds, vanilla seeds, dates, pinch of salt, and water in a
blender. Blend at the highest speed for 2 minutes until the almonds are
a very fine meal and the liquid is opaque.
4. Line the strainer
with cheese cloth, and place over a bowl. Pour the almond mixture into
the strainer. Press all the almond milk from the almond meal. Gather
the nut bag or cheese cloth around the almond meal and twist close.
Squeeze and press with clean hands to extract as much almond milk as
5. Refrigerate almond milk. Store the almond milk in sealed containers in the fridge for up to two days.
Almond milk is widely used as a substitute for cow’s milk by vegans
and people who have problems digesting lactose. Like cow’s milk, it can
be flavored. Commercial almond milk is commonly available in vanilla and
chocolate flavors; However, Fresh All natural almond Milk can easily be made at home!
The type of protein in almonds are not the same as
the protein present in cow's milk. Because of this, almond milk has a
longer shelf life.
Almond milk has a lot of health benefits. It has a high nutritional
content, is low in calories and is an excellent food to consume if you
are concerned about managing your weight.
High Nutritional Content
The major benefit of almond milk lies in its nutritional content.
Since almond milk is made from almonds, most nutrients that can be found
in almonds are also present in almond milk.
Almond milk's protein content is comparable to regular cow's milk.
Protein is essential for growth and development. It is a necessary part
of every living cell in the body.
Aside from protein, almond milk is also packed with several vitamins and minerals.
Almond milk has great cholesterol-lowering effects. It is also
effective in reducing the risk of various heart diseases. All these health benefits can be largely attributed to the presence of vitamin E (an excellent antioxidant), magnesium and monounsaturated fats.
Almond milk also contains manganese, copper and ribloflavin. These
are nutrients that play an important role in energy production.
Low in Calories
Compared to regular milk, almond milk’s calorie content is
significantly lower. The calorie count for an 8 fl. oz. of one of the
top brands of almond milk is 70. Only 22 of these calories are from fat.
Unlike regular cow milk, almond milk has no cholesterol.
Assists in Weight Management
The result of a recent study states that consuming an almond-enriched
diet together with a low-calorie diet may be a more effective way to
manage weight, compared to following a low-calorie diet that is
accompanied by complex carbohydrate consumption. In the study, people who stuck to an almond-enriched low-calorie diet displayed a greater reduction
in their weight, body mass index, waistline and overall body fat
compared to people who followed the high-carbohydrate, low-calorie diet.
Almond milk has no saturated fat, making it a very healthy drink. It
is also high in healthy fats. It is a good source of omega fatty acids,
which are most commonly associated with fish. Almond milk is also high
A glass of almond milk contains nearly one gram of fiber per
8oz. serving. Fiber is important for a healthy digestion.
Almond Milk Anyone?
Our Blog is on INSTAGRAM @eyecatchersworldBLOG
Berries are powerful allies for your health. They protect everything from your head to
your heart. Looking for nutrients that help protect cells from damage? Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries can get the job done!
Berries Keep You Mentally Sharp:
Women who eat about two servings of strawberries or one serving of blueberries a week experience less mental decline over time than peers who went without...
Berries Help Manage Diabetes:
Berries are sweet, however, it's a natural sweetness that is rich in fiber! Eating whole fruit rather than drinking processed fruit juice. Processed / packaged juice is much higher in sugar and does not contain fiber.
Berries Could Boost Heart Health:
people with a strong inherited risk for heart disease may find that a
diet rich in raw fruits and vegetables, including berries, can reduce
their chances of having a heart attack. Loading up on fruits and vegetables seems to modify the genetic risk
carried in the 9p21 gene, known to be related to heart disease.
Berries for Weight Control:
Because of their fiber and liquid content, berries give us a sense of fullness. Experiment with berries in nutrition-rich
recipes, fresh fruit sauces, salad dressings, pair them with
almonds for a fast snack, or eat them plain.
Berries for Lower Blood Pressure:
Dietitians and physicians alike recommend a diet high in fresh fruits and vegetables to keep numbers in line. The chemical compounds in berries fight the systemic inflammation that
may accompany high blood pressure, helping to make your body healthier
Fight Cancer With Berries:
Flavonoid-packed berries, such as blueberries and raspberries, may lead to more effective Cancer prevention strategies. Research published in the Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis
suggests that flavonoids and other compounds found in berries may help
reduce colon cancer risk. Any cancer-preventing benefit is enhanced by
the inclusion of many different colors of fruits and veggies.
Fight Urinary Tract Infections With Berries:
Cranberries are the berry most closely associated with urinary tract health, but nutrition-dense blueberries seem to be helpful
as well. Because it’s a good idea to eat a variety of foods instead of
overdoing it on just one kind, include both cranberries and blueberries
(and many other berries) in your overall diet plan.
So you want to get back to your natural roots...
The process can be much simpler than you think. Whether you are choosing to transition for convenience, financial relief, health reasons, or personal preferences; here are a few steps to help you along the way:
- Break the "Creamy Crack" addiction. The first step to achieving healthy natural hair is to step away from the relaxer. Yes, we know...It can be very tempting, especially as the new growth seems to be begging for your undying attention. Just remember, those new roots are now your new goal. We need to love and nurture these new roots as they are the foundation to the healthy natural hair you crave. Getting rid of your roots will only set you back.
- Focus on developing a weekly/biweekly regimen for deep conditioning your hair. To further aid in your healthy hair transition, begin to moisturize daily as well. Contrary to popular beliefs, our natural hair loves moisture. Dry hair breaks off easily and prevents us from achieving the growth we desire. Focus on keeping your hair adequately moisturized to keep your hair from becoming dry and brittle. This is key to healthy hair growth.
* Natural oils such as olive, coconut, grapeseed, carrot and tea-tree (to name a few) are great options for daily moisture. Many naturalistas opt for a moisturizing leave in conditioner, oil/water mist, etc. THE CHOICES ARE ENDLESS and all customizable to your personal preferences.
- During this transition, your hair will be in limbo between the natural and relaxed textures. Find a hairstyle that can help to mask the two textures, as well as being easy to manage.
* A Braided Sew-in Hair extension can provide protection for your natural hair while allowing you to achieve a style that you are comfortable wearing.Braids are a good transition hair style because it allows your hair to rest and grow out without excessive manipulation. The less strain you put on your hair from combing and styling, the better for transitional hair.
* Many women also opt for the curly look. The curly set allows you to add texture to the entire length of your hair. This style is great for masking the difference in hair textures (relaxed/natural) and also requires minimal manipulation.
* Feel free to explore various styling options until you find one that suits your taste and lifestyle.
- Trim your hair as needed. with the natural growth rat, the trim is usually needed within a four to six week cycle. Trimming the hair removes dead ends and allows you to gradually cut away the relaxed of hair (without doing the big chop). While you will not see see your hair growth, this method will allow you to retain length as you transition. The trim will also give your hair a neat look and allow greater styling options.
- Over time, you will find that the natural hair gradually replaces the relaxed ends, resulting in a full head of healthy, natural hair.
- Style your newly cropped hair with twists, small afros, scarves and other hair accessories. Accent your face by neatly arching your eyebrows, wearing attractive earrings and a beautiful smile.
IF you have begun your natural hair journey and
you DESIRE the BIG CHOP:
Once you have at least two to three inches of newly grown hair, go ahead, CHOP IT! Do it sooner if you don't mind going shorter! Cutting off the remaining relaxed hair leaves you with a fully natural short cropped look.
Share your natural hair journey here!
Offer Suggestions for newly naturals!
Get in on one of the
hottest new health crazes...
Naturally, it is important to eat fruits and veggies, but to juice regularly increases the number of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals imperative to efficient body functions. During the juicing process, the fruit/veggie is liquefied so that your body can ingest the nutrients better.
Eating a diet filled with fruits and vegetables allows you to get the required nutrients required in your diet. What are the benefits of juicing? The potential to live a more healthy, cheerful, productive life and reduce the danger of succumbing to many illnesses and diseases. Fuits and veggies are natures own ways of keeping us full of life and vitality! Give it a try!
Try these fun Juices / Smoothie Blends:
SKIN CLEANSER - Use 3 parts apple 1 part ginger and 3 parts carrot. The main benefits of this healthy juice include revitalization of the body, good for cold and glowing skin. Beauticians usually prescribe this juice because of its extremely good effects on the skin. But the benefits are not limited to the skin. This is one of the most healthy juice recipes. It has a cleansing and boosting effect to the whole body.
CLEAN COMPLEXION / FRESH BREATH- This juice is specifically for people who want to improve their skin complexion. The ingredients are Apple, Carrot and Tomato. For better effect use Green apples. This juice also had an added advantage of eliminating bad breath. This is due to the Apple, Tomato combination. When it comes to healthy breath, this healthy juice recipe tops the list. Sample proportion- 2 part apple, 2 part carrot and 1 part tomato
BLOOD & BONE HEALTH - In a blender, combine kale, grapes, cucumber, apple, and water; blend, scraping down sides occasionally, until smooth. Strain juice and, if desired, thin with additional water. Before serving, garnish with a fresh kale leaf and a cucumber slice (optional). Refrigerate up to 2 days (shake before serving).This green goodie sneaks in a dose of iron, key for healthy blood-cell and muscle function. It also delivers more than your daily requirement of vitamin K—another must for blood and bone health.
YOUNGER SKIN - In a blender, combine apple, pears, and cherries; blend, scraping down sides occasionally, until smooth. Strain juice and, if desired, thin with water. Before serving, garnish with fresh cherries, if desired. Refrigerate up to 2 days (shake before serving).A swig of this vitamin-packed beverage fuels your whole body and even helps aging: Lutein plus vitamins A and C increase collagen production for younger-looking skin.
YOUTHFULNESS - In a blender, combine blueberries, strawberries, mango, and water; blend, scraping down sides occasionally, until smooth. Strain juice and, if desired, thin with additional water. Before serving, garnish with sliced mango, blueberries, and strawberries (optional). Refrigerate up to 2 days (shake before serving).The berries in this fruity blend boast potent anti-aging benefits.
ENERGY - In a blender, combine peaches, and coconut water; blend, scraping down sides occasionally, until smooth. Strain juice and, if desired, thin with water. Refrigerate up to 2 days (shake before serving).Natural fruit sugars give you an instant boost, and electrolyte-loaded coconut water keeps you hydrated.
IMMUNE HEALTH - In a blender, combine grapefruit, oranges, and kiwis; blend, scraping down sides occasionally, until smooth. Strain juice and, if desired, thin with water. Refrigerate up to 2 days (shake before serving).Ward off colds with this vitamin bomb! The kiwis alone pack nearly twice your daily vitamin C requirement—and the citrus delivers even more of the cold-busting vitamin.
POWER UP - In a blender, combine oranges, almonds, sweet potato, apple, and water; blend, scraping down sides occasionally, until smooth. Strain juice and, if desired, thin with additional water. Refrigerate up to 2 days (shake before serving).The protein in almonds helps build and repair muscle, while the potassium (twice as much as you get in a banana) balances your electrolytes and fluids
HEALTHY DIGESTION / DETOX - In a blender, combine ginger, beet, carrots, apple, and water; blend, scraping down sides occasionally, until smooth. Strain juice and, if desired, thin with additional water. Refrigerate up to 2 days (shake before serving). High-fiber root vegetables and fruit keep things moving through the digestive tract, while ginger calms your stomach.
There are millions of healthy, delicious juice combinations. Create your own recipes, and start down your personal path to health and wellness. Try Juice!
Feel free to share your juice ideas here!
Enlighten others to the world of
fresh juice & smoothies...